Monday, April 7, 2014

Dutch bucket tomatoes day 2

Day two

I'll probably have to move my scavenged bricks : ) man I love free stuff!

I started prepping the site for my set up today. This is the back southern side of my house, it should receive sunlight all day. Maybe too much ? I'm placing weed block down first as I don't want to have to mow or weed whack next to my system. Not sure yet what I'll cover it with, mulch or maybe more gravel.

Yeah! More free stuff !
  

I'm using some scrap wood and some scavanged concrete blocks for the platform. I made sure it was level before I start placing my buckets on it. You want to make sure the water goes exactly where you want it to. ; )

"found" PVC and some kitty litter buckets from my lil' Sis.

I half buried the reservoir tank ( storage container) into the ground. I might need to bury it deeper to keep the water cool in the mid summer months. You can kind of see how it's going to work. The water will be pumped out of the res. tank up into drip lines that will go to the top of each bucket, then the nutrient rich water will drip down through the roots of the plants. The water that doesn't get used by the plants will then drain out the bottom of the buckets to the drain line ( the 2 in. pvc pipe you see in the pic ) and back to the tank.



I wanted to use perlite for my grow medium, but couldn't find what I needed. I'm using pea gravel instead. It shouldn't be an issue, but it's going to be heavy. I will obviously put the buckets in place first before I fill them all with gravel. I just wanted to see how much gravel I'd need to get first. The next step will be to put the pvc drain pipes in the buckets. I might do that tomorrow as it looks like it will be raining most of the day. To see how this all supposed to work check out mhp gardener or Brock Hughes on Youtube they're the guys I got most of my ideas from.

No comments:

Post a Comment