Wednesday, July 9, 2014

AAHH!!!

PESTS!!
Another summer and another zucchini crop cut short!
Without fail, every summer my squash crop gets blitzkrieged by squash vine borers.
An adult squash vine borer

What they do to your squash!

 I can't stand the nasty buggers!! The plants grew amazingly well as usual then, started producing fruit. And then, about a week later, the plant starts wilting and the fruit that is already set starts rotting on the plant. 
NNOOOO!!!!

This year I decided to pull the pull the infected plants and plant a new mid summer crop.

To avoid the same problem, I planted the new crop in some old tires. I filled the tires with a topsoil, manure, and compost mix. 


This tire has some tomato suckers and basil.

This one has yellow summer squash

this tire contains ZUCCHINI !!
Wish me luck!
I'll let you know how this second crop goes (grows).
Au revoir, mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment